My mom is back in the kitchen with me and we are sharing our Caribbean Chicken Pate’ recipe! Don’t worry vegetarians, we have you covered because we are also sharing our signature Veggie Pate’! This episode is not only filled with learning more about my Caribbean culture and the history of the recipe but you will also get to FINALLY hear my mom’s REAL ACCENT! Can’t wait for you to watch and try this recipe at home! Be sure to tag me in your pics and videos when you create it! Much love!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
½ Green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper (diced)
½ medium onion (diced)
3 celery stalk
1 tbsp parsley
1 garlic clove
1 chopped hot pepper
¼ cup Tomato paste
1 tbsp curry
1 tbsp seasoning salt
2 tbsp butter
DIRECTIONS FOR FILLING:
Melt the butter in the pan. Add all above ingredients in and sauté. Divide in half so you can make chicken and veggie pate’s.
VEGGIE FILLING ADDITIONS:
1 cup of THREE BEANS with the sauce
1 cup of boniata diced to about ¼ inch thick
Directions: Put the ingredients in a pan and bring to boil. Add half of the above filling and let simmer (medium heat) until boniata is soft (30 min) stirring occasionally. Let cool.
CHICKEN FILLING ADDITIONS:
2 tbsp butter
1 lb of ground chicken
Directions: Melt the butter and add the chicken. When brown, add in half of the above filling and simmer (medium heat (30 min) stirring occationally. Let cool.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH/PASTRY
4 cups of flour
2 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp salted butter if use unsalted butter add ½ tsp salt
1 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup of water
DIRECTIONS FOR THE DOUGH:
1. Add all the dry ingredients together and then add the butter. Slowly add water while mixing.
2. On a flour dusted counter, form the dough into small golf size balls and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Roll the dough balls into circles with a rolling pin.
4. Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of the circle. Rub water on the edge of the circle and close the pate’.
5. Seal the pate’ edges with a fork.
6. If frying the pate’, heat 6 cups of oil in a pot on medium or use a fryer. Fry until golden brown on one side then turn the pate to the other side and fry until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel to cool. Serve and Enjoy!
*If baking heat oven to 350. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool. *