- 2/3 cups of uncooked short-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 4 sheets of Nori seaweed
- ½ cucumber that has been peeled and cut into small vertical strips
- 1 avocado that has also been cut into small vertical strips
- And ½ pound of flaked imitation crabmeat
- The pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce are optional for extra taste
- First in a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/3 cups water to a boil. Then add the rice and stir.
- Next you will reduce the heat on the pan, cover, and allow the rice to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar and salt together. Then blend the mixture into the rice. As you can see, I have already cooked the rice to save time.
- Now it’s time to put the rice on the Nori!
- Center one sheet of nori on the bamboo sushi mat. Make sure to wet your hands so the rice doesn’t stick to them.
- Using your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the sheet of nori. You don’t want to press the rice too thin on the nori because you want to give the rice some air.
- Next, arrange 1/4 of the cucumber, avocado, and imitation crabmeat in a line down the center of the rice.
- Then lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently. Be sure to roll it forward to make a complete roll.
- Finally repeat with the remaining ingredients. When you are ready to serve, cut your sushi rolls into 4 to 6 horizontal pieces.
I love to add ginger and wasabi on top of my sushi for taste. Oh wait, of course I can’t forget to dip it in the soy sauce!