Tom Kha Gai (Chicken Coconut Soup)
- 1–1” piece ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into thin pieces
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms (stemmed and caps cut into small pieces)
- 1–13.5-oz. can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough outer layers removed
- fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges (optional)
- Using the back of a knife, lightly smash lemongrass and ginger; cut lemongrass into 4” pieces.
- Bring lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors are melded for 8–10 minutes. Then, strain the broth into the saucepan.
- Add the chicken and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, add mushrooms, and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked and the mushrooms are soft, slowly mix in the coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Finally, when serving garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Yum!